How to Easily Decorate a Cozy Fall Bedroom
Who doesn’t love a cozy fall bedroom? Use these easy and simple tips to create the most cozy and beautiful bedroom space for the fall season!
When the sun starts to set a little earlier and the air gets a little cooler outside, I know it is time to add all the cozy vibes inside. Everyone needs a place to retreat to at the end of the day and I love creating a really cozy fall bedroom space. It is a safe, calm, peaceful place to begin and end my days and I am so grateful for it!
Creating a cozy fall bedroom is especially fun because it includes just a few simple steps. I will even share where you can pick up any of the cozy essentials, in case you’re needing a bedroom refresh.
As with all of my fall decor, creating a cozy fall bedroom is as much about creating a feeling as it is the actual decor. No matter your personal style, these tips can help you make your master bedroom decor extra cozy for the season. It all begins with what feels cozy to you!
Here are a few suggestions to get you started on your cozy fall bedroom ideas and decor!
How can I make my room feel cozy for fall?
As I mentioned, creating a cozy bedroom space for the fall is as much about creating a feeling or an atmosphere as it is about the specific pieces you bring into a space. You’re going to want to bring in bedding, decor, and accessories that feel good. At the same time, there are some non-tangible things that I recommend for cozying up a room too.
Here are some things that I consider essential when I start to create my cozy fall bedroom (or almost any room, for that matter!). I will break these down with more tips and ideas through the post for you too.
- Deep clean your space.
- Declutter surfaces and drawers.
- Make. Your. Bed.
- Add soft, warm textures and layers.
- Use lighting to create a peaceful ambience.
- Bring in a few, very simple accents for seasonal color.
- Use a candle to bring in a cozy, welcoming scent.
How to Easily Decorate a Cozy Fall Bedroom
How can I make my bedroom look cozy?
Pro Tip: If time is not on your side, consider paying someone to come and deep clean at the beginning of each new season.
This might sound really elementary or silly, but I simply do not get all the great cozy, comfy feelings in a space that is dirty. At the same time, I’ll be the first to admit that dust bunnies collect way too fast in my own bedroom. As a busy wife and mom, I am guilty of focusing on the rest of the house and ignoring my own space until it feels like it’s just impossible!
Knowing this about myself, I’ve tried to make a better effort to spend a few minutes each day to clean or tidy up an area in my bedroom. To me, nothing says cozy like a clean, inviting room!
Before you bring in all of the wonderful layers, decor, and scents for the fall season, take an hour to really deep clean. Don’t leave all the cleaning to spring!
Here are a few suggestions:
- Move furniture, where possible, and vacuum and mop underneath.
- Wash all bedding.
- Clean windows, inside and out.
- Use a magic eraser to touch up the walls and doors.
- Clean light fixtures.
- If needed, wash curtains.
- Spot clean the rug.
I promise you, it feels SO GOOD to do some “spring cleaning” in the fall before the extra busyness of the holidays set in, guests arrive, and you add all the “extra” in your decor!
How can I make my room cozy without spending money?
Pro Tip: Make a note in your calendar to spend 15 minutes each week decluttering your room. This can make a huge difference!
Since cozy is a feeling rather than tangible items, you can easily cozy up your fall bedroom without spending any money at all. Hopefully, now you have deep cleaned and started getting in the fall mood with the scent of a favorite fall candle. Next, you can continue making your space feel cozy by decluttering!
I try to do this fairly often in the kids’ bedrooms. However, the master bedroom ends up with forgotten corners. As I said before, I am really trying to make an effort to not allow that to happen.
Another side benefit to decluttering as you decorate your bedroom for fall is you are also preparing for the upcoming holiday seasons! The next three months are some of the busiest of the year. I don’t know about you, but here, there just isn’t really time for deep cleaning and decluttering once we hit mid-October and for sure into November!
Here are a few things I do for a quick declutter for my fall bedroom:
- Put away misplaced items laying around the room. Determine whether they are items that have a home elsewhere, need to be donated, or are ready to be tossed.
- Clean out nightstand drawers. I like to use organizers LIKE THIS for my nightstand!
- Take a quick look through closets, shoes, and clothing items. Get rid of summer items that you didn’t use at all.
- Move fall clothing and shoes to the front of the closet or drawers. We like THESE ORGANIZERS for clothing drawers!
- Consider a basket or bin to put things that you need to take care of but don’t have time at the moment. When the basket is full, you know you’ve got to just stop and actually take care of those things!
- Consider some baskets with lids to tuck things out of sight that you need accessible but don’t want to see all the time! THIS set makes great storage. At the same time, they look pretty too!
What is the easiest way to create a cozy fall bedroom?
Pro Tip: Invest in comfy, cozy bedding that you can use all year long. Then, just add inexpensive accessories for the seasons.
Make. Your. Bed.
Seriously! It doesn’t cost a dime and doesn’t even have to take a lot of your time or energy. Making your bed everyday is one thing you can do to guarantee returning home at the end of the day to a cozy feeling. Remember, your bedroom can be a restful haven.
For me, making the bed is main way I can give the whole room a more tidy, clean look. We try to make the bed everyday and it is definitely a habit that I work hard to get my kids into also!
Here are the layers and bedding that we use when we sleep:
(Keep in mind, we live in South Florida and our weather is still quite warm in the fall months.)
I definitely have other layers on our bed. However, these are the basic layers that we actually use every day. Also, these are the layers that I leave out year-round. Then, I simply add or take away other cozy layers for the different seasons.
What can I add to my room to make it cozy?
Pro Tip: Add layers that don’t have to be remade every day. This saves you time and helps your bed always have that fluffy, cozy look!
As I have said, cozy is a feeling to me. I love adding some key pieces to my fall bedroom decor to make it both look and feel more cozy. These layers are definitely dependent on personal preference.
At the same time, what you may choose to add will depend on your location and weather. If it is starting to really cool off where you live, now is a great time to add some extra warm layers to your bedding!
Here are a few things that I have added to my bedding for a cozy fall look:
- Cream coverlet folded at the foot of the bed (This helps my bed have the appearance of being more fluffy without having to actually do a lot of work each day when making the bed. My cream coverlet just stays folded at the end of the bed and I tuck it into the foot of the bed to secure it.)
- Gauzy coverlet draped across the foot of the bed (This goes over the cream coverlet, adding another soft layer. However, it isn’t cumbersome and the nature of the fabric allows it to have that “casually tossed” look so it doesn’t have to be too perfect.)
- I use the coordinating shams in front of our sleeping pillows.
- In front of the printed shams, I use the cream shams that came with the cream coverlet. Basically, I mixed and matched two different sets in addition to the quilt that we sleep with!
- I added one neutral throw pillow that can stay out year round.
- For a touch of fall color, I added one additional throw pillow. Even though there are several pillows, it is easy and uncomplicated so that my husband can remember how to make the bed too! Haha!
- For the final cozy touch on the bed, I added a super soft throw blanket. It is perfect to grab for a cozy movie night! Also, I like how it just adds another simple layer to my cozy fall bedroom feeling!
- You can find more suggestions for cozy fall bedroom layers over on THIS POST.
How can I make my room really cozy?
Pro Tip: Incorporate more than one level of lighting for a more cozy space.
Lighting is a key element to creating an especially cozy fall bedroom! Especially when the sun sets earlier and it is darker on the long evenings, I love to have pretty lighting.
Our chandelier was a yard sale find. I love this vintage piece and it’s French farmhouse look. If possible, adding a chandelier over your bed can make a beautiful statement piece while also adding functional lighting.
Lamps are another way to create cozy lighting in your fall bedroom. Our lamps were a fun DIY with architectural salvage pieces. You can read all the details of that easy DIY over on THIS blog post!
Here are a few lamps available now that I love:
- THIS lamp is made from an old architectural salvage piece!
- THESE bedroom lamps are perfect for a simple, traditional look.
- THIS woven lamp adds some beautiful texture.
- I think this concrete lamp is one of my current favorites too!
- The combination of gray and gold makes this pair of lamps a statement piece!
Lastly, don’t forget about the cozy glow of candlelight! I keep these battery-operated taper candles on a timer. It is so peaceful when they just come on in the early evening and go off at bedtime! At the same time, they are so realistic with the wax finish and flickering flame. I have tried a lot of different battery-operated taper candles and these are definitely my favorites!
How do I decorate my room for fall on a budget?
Pro Tip: You only need a couple of seasonal accents!
The great thing about fall decor is that less is more! To add some cozy fall bedroom decor in my room, I added a wreath and a few faux pumpkins over the bed. A stack of two real pumpkins sits on the stool at the end of the bed.
Over on the side cabinet, I added a few faux fall stems and dried gourds under cloches. That’s it! I actually didn’t spend a dime and just used things I already had (other than the two real pumpkins, of course!)
Here are a few simple accessories you can add to your fall bedroom decor:
- Soft pumpkin pillows
- Glass cloche
- Dried gourds
- Small faux pumpkin
- Simple wreath
- Brass candlesticks
- Faux fall stems
- Vintage brass quail
- Pretty wall basket
- Large realistic pumpkin to add to a bench
- Pretty pottery vase
How can I add warmth to my room?
Pro Tip: Invest in battery-operated candles and thrift for brass candlesticks to use all throughout the fall and winter seasons.
If I could only add one extra element to make my fall bedroom cozy, it would be candles. Even if I had no pumpkins, orange pillows, or extra bedding layers, candles would still give me the coziest glow!
You can add warmth to make a cozy fall bedroom by adding candles! To save money, I like to use great battery-operated candles. As I mentioned earlier in the post, these are my very favorites. I especially love pairing them with my vintage brass candlesticks.
It’s time to create your own cozy fall bedroom!
I hope you’ve enjoyed this post and that it has helped you have a few more tools to help you create a restful and cozy haven to enjoy during this fall season.
Pro tip: When it’s time for Christmas decor, all you have to do now is swap out your seasonal accessories!
If you’ve enjoyed this post, you may also enjoy the following: