How to Make “Egg-Hunt” Easter Cupcakes
Looking for an Easter dessert? Check out these egg-hunt themed Easter cupcakes for a strawberry-filled dessert, topped with Cadbury eggs, that looks beautiful and tastes amazing too! Keep reading through the blog hop for more amazing Easter dessert ideas too!
Happy spring! If you’re hopping over from Jackie at Finding Lovely, welcome! I’m so glad you’ve stopped by today! This Easter dessert blog hop is leaving my mouth watering and making me want to hop into the kitchen and start baking! Don’t Jackie’s lemon curd parfaits sound delicious and look beautiful too?
My blog readers already know this, but in case you’re a new friend, I have to be honest and tell you that I’m not the baker in our family! That job belongs to my 14-year-old daughter, Payton, and she keeps us stocked with delicious sweets.
My job is to take the beautiful desserts she creates and use them as part of our holiday tablescapes because food makes the prettiest decorations too! You can find some of our favorite Easter table ideas on this post.
I love my other job, which is to try to keep everyone out of Payton’s beautiful desserts until it’s actually time to eat them! Haha! Good luck, right?!
Since these Easter cupcakes were Payton’s idea and definitely her work of art, I’m turning this blog over to her! I know you’ll love how she took some favorite recipes, got creative, and made the cutest Easter cupcakes! The strawberry filling makes them extra tasty and of course, you can’t go wrong with Cadbury eggs!
How to Make “Egg-Hunt” Easter Cupcakes
Hi! I’m Payton! Since my mom has turned this blog post over to me, let me tell you about the fun I had creating these Easter cupcakes!
For the month of April, the first thing I think about is spring and, of course, Easter. We take Easter pretty seriously around here, so I decided Easter cupcakes were the way to go. Fun for the kids and delicious for the adults!
I figured, what is the one of the most traditional things that our family does every year for Easter? The top two things that come to mind are visiting the Easter bunny at the Ann Norton Sculpture Gardens in Palm Beach and doing an Easter egg hunt in our backyard.
Immediately, I thought to do a little edible egg hunt on top of Easter cupcakes! I also wanted to add a little bit of fresh fruit to my dessert, so I added a little bit of strawberry filling, which really brought a bit of the freshness of spring into these cupcakes!
My Easter cupcakes are topped with American buttercream, which I piped using grass tip 233, and some Cadbury eggs.
These little chocolate eggs are such a tasty treat topper, and they are pastel-colored, so they match your typical Easter colors!
Strawberry Filling for Easter Cupcakes
The decorations on top are sooooo cute, but I’m getting ahead of myself! One thing that I was super excited about for these Easter cupcakes was the inside with that delicious strawberry filling that makes my mouth water every time I think about it!
It was super easy to make and putting it in is really simple.
- Take a spoon and carve out a little bit of cake.
- Fill a piping bag with the strawberry filling.
- Fill the hole in the Easter cupcakes!
Awhile back, I remember being at a donut shop or a bakery and wondering how on earth they get the filling in there. My mind was blown when I figured out how simple it really was!
Recipes to Make Easter Cupcakes
The American buttercream and the vanilla cake recipes are the same. They were both written by Rose Atwater, one of my favorite baking authors. The recipe for the strawberry filling is from Allrecipes, a favorite website of mine. I will share them with you, and then share some instructions on how to bring it all together. First up, the vanilla cake recipe!
Vanilla Cake Recipe
- 1 Cake Release Spray
- 1 1/4 Cup Whole Milk
- 2 1/2 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 Cup Cake Flour
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 2 Sticks Unsalted Butter, Room Temp
- 2 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 Tbs Vanilla Extract
- 3 Eggs
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Prepare three 8-inch cake pans by coating the bottoms & sides with cake release spray.
- In a small bowl, mix the milk & heavy cream. In a medium bowl, sift the all-purpose and cake flours and baking powder. Then set aside.
- (Tip: IF you don't have a sifter or strainer you can mix & fluff your dry ingredients with a whisk to get the same aerated effect as sifting.)
- In a large bowl, cream the butter using an electri mixer on medium speed until it's soft and light (about 2 minutes). Add sugar & salt and mix until the mixutre is light in color and fluffy (about 2 minutes)
- On the low setting, mix in one-third of the flour mixture. Add half of the milk mixture & mix until just combined. Then add another third of the flour mixutre. Repeate with the remaining milk and flour mixture. Be careful no to over mix!
- Pour the batter carefully into the cupcake pan
- Bake 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean
- Let the cupcakes cool for 10 minutes
Vanilla American Buttercream Recipe
Vanilla American Buttercream
- 1 Cup Unsalted butter Room temp
- 1 Cup Vegetable Shortening
- 1 1/2 Tsps Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/12 Tsps Butter Vanilla emulsion Optional
- 3-4 Tbsp Milk or water, divided
- 1/4 Tsps Salt
- 2 Lbs Powdered Sugar
- In a large bowl, beat together butter, shortening & extracts until smooth and creamy.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the milk or water, the salt, and half the powdered sugar & mix until just combined.
- On low speed, gradually add the remaining powdered sugar. Add more milk or water as needed.
- If using within 2 hours, the frosting can be left at room temperature. Just keep the frosting covered with a damp cloth to prevent crusting.
- If NOT using in 2 hours, store the frosting in the refrigerator in an airtight container. When ready to use, bring the frosting to room temperature and rewhip to soften before using.
Strawberry Filling Recipe
- 1 Cup Water
- 3 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 2 1/2 Cup Frozen Strawberries, thawed & cut into bit sized pieces
- 3/4 Cup White Sugar
- Whisk water and cornstarch together in a large saucepan
- Stir strawberries and sugar into the water
- Cook strawberry mixutre over medium heat until thick, about 10 minutes.
- Let cool completely before use.
These Easter cupcakes are so fun to make! Even though all the steps take some time, they were still easy and we all loved how they turned out. My mom had fun decorating with them! Since our Easter guests loved them last year, I definitely want to make them again this year too!
It was fun to share my Easter cupcakes with you and before I send you back over to my mom to wrap up the blog post, I want to thank you for stopping by and reading! I hope you have fun making your Easter desserts this year!
Back to Mom…(Robyn here!)
Didn’t Payton do a great job?! For instance, what a delight to find that strawberry filling on the inside! It tasted so good and perfect for spring. I know I’m really biased, but I still think I’m blessed with an amazing girl! If anyone has tips on how to keep her from growing up so much, though, send them my way!
What is really extra-special today is that you will get to experience 13 Easter desserts! There will definitely be more than one that you want to try! Next, hope on over to My 100 Year Old Home and check out the dessert Leslie is sharing for Easter! Spring desserts are always so pretty, too, and you’ll love what she made!
You can find all 13 Easter desserts below as well. So many yummy choices and so little time! Except, we are sharing them early so you actually do have time to try several of them if you get started soon! Have fun and most of all, enjoy making them with someone special!
Make sure to check out these Amazing Easter Dessert Recipes!
Strawberry Fool Dessert | Modern Glam
Easter Bunny Cupcakes | Craftberry Bush
Easter Bunny Cake – with Pattern | Happy Happy Nester
Lemon Curd Easter Parfaits | Finding Lovely
Bunny Puff Pastry Easter Tart | Tatertots and Jello
Easter Basket Flower Cake | My 100 Year Old Home
How to Make “Egg Hunt” Easter Cupcakes | Robyn’s French Nest
Chocolate Eclair Cake | Twelve on Main
Light & Delicious Lemon Cheesecake | Maison de Cinq
White Chocolate Easter Egg Pudding Cups | My Sweet Savannah
Blueberry Lavender Naked Cake | Inspirations for Moms