Apple Cinnamon Sugar Cupcakes
This month, we (sadly!) went back to school. As I’m writing this, I actually just finished my first full week of 8th grade! I am not going to lie, it got pretty overwhelming at times, so I decided that it would be nice to come home to a nice warm kickoff-of-fall cupcake like these delicious apple cinnamon cupcakes!
It still tastes delicious, but if you wanted to go all out, you could try this apple pie filling recipe from Crazy for Crust that I found.
All of these components can be used with different recipes that you might have, or you could pull out certain components and use them in your favorite desserts. I’m so excited to share these, so here you go!
Vanilla Cinnamon Sugar Cupcakes
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 3 egg whites
- 2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
Cinnamon Sugar Mixture
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup sugar
Vanilla Cinnamon Sugar Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together flour, cinnamon, sugar, baking soda, and baking powder in mixing bowl.
- Add butter (room temperature), egg whites, sour cream, vanilla, and milk- Mix until smooth (no lumps).
Tip: I always panicked when a recipe says “egg whites” or “egg yolks” because I didn’t know how to separate eggs. It is actually super easy. You just crack the egg, then let the egg whites run out of the crack. After as much egg white that will come out is in the bowl, break the shell open and carefully move the yolk from half to half until the rest if the whites come out.
- Add cupcake liners to cupcake pan.
- Combine cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.
- Place 1 tbsp of batter into each cupcake liner.
- Sprinkle ¼ tsp of cinnamon sugar mixture on top of cupcake batter.
- Repeat steps until liners are halfway full.
- Sprinkle a little more cinnamon sugar mixture on top of half-filled liners.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with minimal crumbs.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Remove cupcakes and continue cooling on wire rack.
For the Frosting
- Mix room temperature butter and shortening until smooth.
- Add 1 tsp of vanilla, mix until well blended
- Add powdered sugar one cup at a time and mix until well blended.
- Mix in cinnamon until well blended.
- Add in milk 1 tbsp at a time. Add until right consistency.
- 1 bag white candy melts
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
Apple Filling Recipe
- 4 cups apples peeled, cored, and diced
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
Apple Filling Instructions
- Place apples in a large bowl and toss with lemon juice.
- Place water, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg in a medium saucepan. Stir to combine then bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often. Once the mixture boils, boil it for two minutes. Add the apples, turn to a simmer and cover. Cook, stirring often, until the apples soften, about 5-8 minutes.
- Pour into jars to cool to room temperature then cover and refrigerate. The mixture will thicken more as it cools.