5 Easy and Festive Christmas Front Porch Ideas 2022
Create the most welcoming and festive entrance for your family and friends this year with these 5 easy, budget-friendly, and beautiful Christmas front porch ideas for small or large porch spaces!
Today is all about Christmas front porch ideas! If you’ve been following me for more than a minute, you know I love my neutral colors. As trends come and go, I’ve been decorating with primarily neutrals for MANY years. However, when it comes to Christmas front porch ideas, it is definitely my favorite spot to add some traditional, seasonal Christmas colors.
Porch areas are the first opportunity you have to welcome your guests with a festive greeting. At the same time, a porch is the first thing our family sees when we arrive home, too. When we pull into our driveway, I want to see all the festive vibes, even in a simple way.
There are so many Christmas front porch ideas out here and I love that you can pull all of your favorite ideas to create your own style and look. After all, your home is your artistic canvas and should tell your story. However, I know I am always looking for some inspiration and fun ideas myself! I hope these simple ideas spark a creative thought for you as you get your front porch decor ready for the most wonderful time of year!
5 Easy and Festive Christmas Front Porch Ideas 2022
How should I decorate my front porch for Christmas?
A front porch space is a perfect opportunity to give your family and friends a sneak peek of what’s to come once the front doors open. I try to include elements that connect, even loosely, to my Christmas decorating theme for the indoors.
At the same time, your outdoor spaces can be an opportunity to have fun with a little different style too. As I said earlier, our Christmas interior holds true to my neutral decorating preferences. Outside, though, I love to add some fun and traditional touches of Christmas color.
There are some main elements that I think every porch can include for beautiful Christmas front porch ideas:
- Christmas wreaths on the doors
- Hanging Christmas lights
- Outdoor pillows with Christmas color or pattern
- Outdoor battery-operated candles for a cozy, welcoming glow
- Pretty Christmas statues, such as nutcrackers, Nativity sets, snowmen, or Santa
Christmas Front Porch Decor Ideas #1: Add Christmas Statues
For years, I’ve been saying I was going to finally splurge and buy the tall Nutcrackers to flank our doors. There is just something about these festive guys that I love. Maybe it’s the traditional aspect or maybe it’s because I love the music from Tchaikovsky’s Nutcracker. Either way, it was a major Christmas decor goal of mine!
Alas, every time they would finally go on sale, I couldn’t find two matching. So when an early Black Friday sale at Michaels rolled around one year, I grabbed these handsome guys! My own little handsome real guy at home is so excited and his big smile was confirmation that this was a splurge worth taking. To top it off, he’s had a role in our community Christmas event as a toy soldier for a couple of years. So, now it’s a whole sentimental thing for us too!
Adding Christmas cheer and magic is always a good thing, but these past few years, it has just seemed extra important. I love how the colors of the Nutcrackers pop against our white home and simple exterior. The size allows them to be seen from the road and I hope they spread a little Christmas cheer to everyone who passes by too!
Here are some other ideas for festive Christmas statues to add to your Christmas porch:
I use a lot of nutcrackers in our Christmas interior. Even though these guards on our Christmas front porch are much more colorful than the nutcrackers inside our home, they still connect that decor thread as you come into our home.
Here are some fun nutcracker decorations, large and small, that can be used both inside and out:
- These life-sized nutcrackers are like the ones we have on our own front porch. I did find them on a sale, fortunately, but they are worth every penny! So fun and they will be part of our Christmas tradition for many years to come!
- I use these miniature wooden nutcrackers all throughout our home! They are cute lined up in cubbies or part of Christmas place settings. Really, there are so many uses for them. I love the unfinished wood but you could also paint them for a fun Christmas DIY craft idea too!
- This unfinished nutcracker is taller and offers a great chance for a fun DIY or just enjoy the wood tone, like I do!
- These colorful nutcracker ornaments are perfect for your tree or string them on pretty ribbon for a garland!
- Line your outdoor walkway with these happy guys!
- Oh yes! We have one of these big inflatable Christmas toy soldiers, too! It’s Harrison’s favorite and goes right outside his window for the Christmas season! A classy yard inflatable! 😉
Christmas Front Porch Ideas #2: Add indoor-style elements to the outdoors too!
How do I decorate my front porch on a budget?
One way to decorate your Christmas front porch on a budget is to bring the indoors out. Outdoor-specific fabrics and decor items are often more pricey. Since your Christmas front porch decor will be out during a season that won’t see the harsh sun and as much rain (for most locations anyway), you can really get away with some cheap elements that still look amazing.
For example, I sprinkled in some additional farmhouse style Christmas décor with plaid pillows, a vintage sleigh from the flea market, and battery operated candles. Simple elements that are inviting, festive, inexpensive, and low maintenance were my goal.
You can find some budget-friendly items to add color and pattern to your front door decor here:
- A set of inexpensive Christmas pillows will transform the look of your outdoor space. Since they are inexpensive and out for a short season, you don’t need to worry as much about them being outdoor weather-proof!
- Try draping a budget-friendly scarf or even fabric over an outdoor rocking chair, bench, or swing. This will give a festive look but is a lot less expensive than an outdoor, weather-resistant throw blanket!
- Lights make everything look magical! To save some money, use these outdoor, waterproof fairy lights inside of a pretty lantern instead of a pillar candle! These fairy lights would also be gorgeous around a wreath!
Christmas Front Porch Decor Ideas #3: Add outdoor lanterns with candles on timers!
Actually, I love using lanterns no matter the season. They are always a great way to add varied height, texture, color, and shape to a space. During most seasons, I typically have some kind of lanterns on our porch. However, there is one pair of huge lanterns that stays out most of the year.
Our DIY outdoor lanterns got a fresh look for the season, too! You can find the details of how we made these here. If you are looking for a great DIY gift to give this year, they would make fun homemade Christmas gifts this year too!
Whether you add battery-operated fairy lights or an outdoor battery candle on a timer, the warm glow through a lantern is a great way to add some light to your porch on the long, dark evenings. At the same time, the magical glow adds an amazing and welcoming ambiance to your Christmas front porch decor too!
Here are some lantern ideas for your porch this season:
- This farmhouse pair of lanterns is beautiful and could be used year round. Hang a little sprig of evergreen or a big plaid bow on the handle too!
- I love this style of lantern for outdoors because I don’t have to try to keep the glass sides clean all of the time!
- We keep the medium pair of this style, in grey, on our outdoor table year round. They have held up perfectly in our harsh Florida outdoors. If you’re willing to make a bit of an investment, I cannot recommend these enough!
- I can’t say whether or not these would hold up outdoors in all seasons for many years. However, just for the fall and winter seasons, I think they would do just fine. And they are gorgeous! Add a pair to each side of the door with candle glow!
- This set is another great option, especially for more budget-friendly decorating! Order several and create a magical glow on your porch this season!
Christmas Front Porch Ideas #4: Use your outdoor furniture to decorate too!
A little goes a long way for seasonal decor! Use your existing furniture and simply add a few Christmas accents. A good clean up and clear out is always in order when refreshing for the season. However, for Christmas, focus on adding some key pieces with accents rather than furniture. If you’re able to invest in pieces like the large nutcrackers, amazing! I absolutely love mine.
Here in Florida, winter is when we get to actually enjoy our outdoor spaces the most! I had fun creating a little impromptu, cozy moment under our pergola.
Our double swings were vintage finds from a flea market and a local friend built the cedar coffee table for us a couple of years ago. The perfect spot on a Florida winter day to sit with a book and cup of hot cocoa…in a vintage Santa mug of course!
Tip: Take the furniture you already have, add a few simple accessories, and enjoy!
Christmas Front Porch Ideas #5: Front Door Must-Haves!
How do you decorate a small porch for Christmas?
Even the smallest porch can look amazingly festive with this one, single element: A beautiful Christmas wreath! Some homes may be apartments or spaces that literally have no porch at all. However, you can have the most inviting front door around by adding an amazing wreath. No matter the season, wreaths are such a welcoming addition to any entrance.
You may choose to make your own wreath with a fun DIY. There are a lot of great options and ideas out there for Christmas front porch decor and DIY wreaths!
I must admit, though, that when I DIY a wreath, it usually ends up costing me more than purchasing one. There are a lot of pretty wreaths out there with really reasonable prices.
Here are a few Christmas wreaths I’m loving this season:
- I love this four-piece set that you can use to create decor on and around the front door that all matches!
- This wreath has such a pretty look and great combination of foliage!
- The simplicity of this wreath is just perfect!
- These smaller wreaths with bells would be perfect for windows, kitchen cabinets, or interior doors! Plus, the price is amazing!
- Orange slices add a touch of the unexpected to this farmhouse style wreath!
- I love the mixed greens and festive touches to this wreath too!
- This wreath is pre-lit and I love the simplicity of the mixed greens, plus it’s a great price for the larger size. Add your own bow with ribbon to match your decor!
How can I make my front porch more attractive?
No matter the season, investing in a pretty outdoor space will set the stage for even the most simple Christmas decor to look beautiful. We spent a lot of time building our tiny front porch out, as well as painting and adding elements to give our very plain, flat house character and interest.
One of my favorite things about our front porch area is how we extended it out with the pergolas and diamond pavers with artificial turf. You can read more about that DIY over on THIS POST!
Another project that took a lot of time and investment, but has been well worth it, was to paint our entire driveway and porch areas. We spent a lot of time researching to make it look as good as possible with the resources we had. At the same time, we want it to last a long time! You can get all of the details about our driveway curb appeal project over on THIS POST!
It’s time to deck the halls…and doors…and porches!
I hope you’ve gotten a couple of ideas from this blog post and our simple, yet festive, front porch area. Hopefully, these Christmas front porch ideas help you create a welcoming entrance to greet your family and friends all season long!
Dressing the outside of your home, even in a simple, farmhouse way, lets your family and friends know that you are ready for the season and welcoming in festive, good cheer! But it’s good to just do it for your own enjoyment too. That’s what home should be after all.
Comfort & Joy, remember?